Money Talks ~ Houdini's Magic Movie Ticket
Have Posts Sent To Your Inbox!
Enter your email address:

Monday, November 12, 2007

Money Talks

I never saw this film in theaters. When it came out on HBO and other movie channels, I avoided it. I didn't think it was for me. Recently, I watched it on cable. It was hilarious. I couldn't believe how far removed my concept of it had been from reality.

Chris Tucker is very similar in "Money Talks" as he is in "The Fifth Element," and I thought he was good in "Element." So, naturally, I enjoyed seeing him in a different role. I think the reason I didn't think "Money Talks" was going to be good was because of the advertising.

I vaguely recall being told via movie ads that Chris Tucker would be playing the fast and loose guy, while Charlie Sheen would be an uptight conservative rich snob. Those descriptions were accurate, but only to an extremely limited extent.

For some reason, I find that if I take an advertisement at face value, I'll often end up hating the idea of a movie that is later revealed to be much better than how it was depicted in a commercial.

I think it's because movie ads have reached the point where they try to sell people on the best stereotypical category a unique, individual film can fit into. If one kind of film worked before, they say, "Hey, this is just like that!" even and especially when it's not.

It's weird. Sometimes I feel deceived, especially when I finally get around to watching a movie and see that the ads were all wrong. And, especially when I enjoy a film that a faulty ad had convinced me wasn't worth watching.

If you enjoyed this post, please think about becoming a subscriber to my RSS feed.

No comments: