Fletch ~ Houdini's Magic Movie Ticket
Have Posts Sent To Your Inbox!
Enter your email address:

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Fletch

I never really noticed this film, but the other day I got around to watching it. It's a hoot. Although I couldn't help wondering if it was just a rip-off of "Beverly Hills Cop."

Here's what I mean. Eddie Murphy did "Beverly Hills" in 1984. Murphy had been on SNL. So had Chevy Chase, who did "Fletch" in 1985. Both movies revolve around the investigation of illegal activities, and humor. The two soundtracks even sound similar. And since "Fletch" came after "Cop," it must have been a copy, right?

Well, maybe not. Hollywood goes with what works. I'd say it was just another experiment in what seemed like a new 80's genre that had emerged with "Cop."

"Fletch" is a cult classic, and is definitely enjoyable. It's also unique in enough ways as to separate itself from "Cop." And get this. Another film in each of the two franchises is in the works!

If you enjoyed this post, please think about becoming a subscriber to my RSS feed.

No comments: