Abusing The Indiana Jones Name ~ Houdini's Magic Movie Ticket
Have Posts Sent To Your Inbox!
Enter your email address:

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Abusing The Indiana Jones Name

I don't have many specifics to go on, but I think the general idea is correct.

The other day I was watching TV, channel surfing, when I came across a young Indiana Jones movie/show/miniseries. The actor playing the pre-doctor Jones was even younger than River Phoenix in "Last Crusade." So young, in fact, that I wondered if it even meant anything to watch him.

It's neat to see how greatness arises. And it was neat to see young Indy with an old writer, who I can only compare to an elderly reclusive modern celebrity/genius. But the elements of the show didn't measure up to Spielberg.

The Indiana Jones movies create an amazing character who lives in an amazing world and goes on amazing adventures. That all comes from an amazing director and actor. Take the skill away, but leave the name, and it's like you're diluting the greatness of a legend.

I'm not saying the show/miniseries/whatever wasn't good. In fact I only saw about 5 minutes. But from what I could tell, it didn't have the magic of the movies. And I guess that's what appeals to me the most about Indiana Jones.

If you enjoyed this post, please think about becoming a subscriber to my RSS feed.

No comments: