The Last Castle ~ Houdini's Magic Movie Ticket
Have Posts Sent To Your Inbox!
Enter your email address:

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Last Castle



A few years ago, when "The Last Castle" first came out, I thought it would be boring. But the other night I watched it, and I enjoyed it.

Robert Redford plays a 3-Star General who is sent to a U.S. military prison. His pride had gotten 8 soldiers killed, and all he wants to do is serve out his sentence. But the corrupt warden's methodology grates on the General, until he finds he can no longer tolerate the crap.

Redford rallies the rest of the inmates, all soldiers in their own right, and gives them something worth fighting for. In the end, the inmates take control of the prison.

I had thought the film would be more like, "An old man with old values goes to regular prison, and chaos ensues." Instead it was like, "A patriotic man of honor inspires his peers and rights the wrongs he finds inside a military prison."

It was great. It makes it clear how power can be abused, and why human rights are an absolute necessity. I'd recommend it.

If you enjoyed this post, please think about becoming a subscriber to my RSS feed.