The Bourne Redundancy ~ Houdini's Magic Movie Ticket
Have Posts Sent To Your Inbox!
Enter your email address:

Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Bourne Redundancy

I remember seeing Matt Damon on "The Daily" show back when "The Bourne Ultimatum" was first coming out. I believe he referred to a possible title for a proposed fourth installment in the Bourne franchise as, "The Bourne Redundancy." I remember back when only "The Bourne Identity" and "The Bourne Supremacy" existed. I had heard him remark that he would only do a third, and his colleagues agreed, if the script were good enough. Apparently that happened, as "Ultimatum" grossed over $400 million worldwide at the box office, a little less than half of the total $900 million from the entire trilogy. I never thought there would be a fourth, and neither, apparently, did Damon.

However, this article revives the possibility of a fourth installment actually getting made. It may have more to do with money and less with personal desire to do the film this time around, however. Damon said, "Personally, the character means a lot to me because the character has done so much for my career. You know, it put me in the position where I have a lot more choices of kind of movies I want to make. If Paul Greengrass, maybe years down the road, was interested in doing another one, then I would do it, too. I don’t think either of us completely put the character to bed yet."

That makes sense to me, given that the series so far has ended on a high note, and also when you take into consideration movies like Die Hard 4.0, which breathe new life into an old successful franchise. I just hope Damon continues to demand a quality script!

If you enjoyed this post, please think about becoming a subscriber to my RSS feed.

No comments: