American Psycho (2000) ~ Houdini's Magic Movie Ticket
Have Posts Sent To Your Inbox!
Enter your email address:

Monday, February 11, 2008

American Psycho (2000)

I don't usually watch movies this dark, but this one was on last night, and I'm a fan of Christian Bale. I thought, "Why not?"

This is a pretty intense film. Bale plays a rich Wall Street guy in the '80's. He and his rich buddies have their own unique perspectives on life, having graduated from Ivy League institutions and landed high-paying jobs that justify $500 lunch hours. Bale is apparently a sociopath who enjoys the idea of killing. Eventually he crosses over and kills a coworker, one he was jealous of. Then he kills again and again, does some drugs and hires some hookers.

I enjoyed the glimpse at high society, and the '80's throwback. The setting for many of the scenes was clean and upper-class, quiet and laid-back, smooth and classy. It was neat to experience.

Some very dark humor was thrown in at various points. I don't know if this was intentional, but I found it funny when Bale was running naked down a hallway with a chainsaw. It just struck me as ridiculously absurd, and I believe many absurd things are naturally funny.

Aside from those qualities, there is much overt violence, and sex, and drugs. If you don't want to see someone killed right in front of you, this is probably a film you should skip. But if you can tolerate some "pretty sick" stuff, this film has many layers that are worth contemplating on an intellectual level. At the very least, it is very different from your typical crowd-pleaser.

If you enjoyed this post, please think about becoming a subscriber to my RSS feed.

No comments: